Back on September 5 of 2012 Brooke Allen sent an email to the NSoW mailing list inviting subscribers to join us in a free class. So many people wrote that we decided to post it as an article so they could add comments about their experiences.
Adrienne and I have just signed up for our first free course with the University of Pennsylvania through Coursera (http://www.coursera.org), which offers dozens of classes by top professors on-line, all completely free.
We are taking a class on gamification, which is about adding game-like elements to all sorts of activities that aren’t normally considered fun. Our most popular article of all time was our interview with gamification expert, Gabe Zichermann, on how to gamify the job search. See: JobsVille on our website, http://www.noshortageofwork.com. The class began last week and it is still excellent.
You can learn about the gamification course here: https://www.coursera.org/course/gamification
Although the class has already begun, there is still time to sign up and join us and the other 70,000 students.
Other courses include:
- Web Intelligence and Big Data (http://www.coursera.org/course/bigdata)
- Model Thinking (http://www.coursera.org/course/modelthinking)
- Digital Democracy (http://www.coursera.org/course/digitaldemocracy)
- Statistics (http://www.coursera.org/course/stats1)
- Computational Finance (http://www.coursera.org/course/compfinance)
- Poetry (http://www.coursera.org/course/modernpoetry)
- World History (http://www.coursera.org/course/wh1300)
- Reasoning and Argumentation (http://www.coursera.org/course/thinkagain)
- and many many more
You can see all their offerings here: https://www.coursera.org/courses
We hope to meet you all on line. If you sign up for the gamification class, or any of the others, please write and let us know.
- REGISTER or LOGIN to leave comments. (Registering DOES NOT automatically sign you up for the newsletter.)
Only newsletter subscribers receive full benefit from this site including help finding: work, mentors, education, meetings, and other members. SIGN UP NOW.
Click here to see a sample newsletter.
WATCH THIS VIDEO to hear Daniel Pink describe what motivates people to work. This is what No Shortage of Work is all about.
- Book Review
- Career Advice
- Getting Help
- Giving Help
- Help NSoW
- Job Hunting
- Lessons Learned
- Life Skills
- NSoW Explained
- NSoW Website
- Social Capital
- TV Alternatives
- Working for Free
- You're Kidding